Back pain is one of the most common reasons why people seek chiropractic care. At The Spine Doc, our Birmingham chiropractor is happy to answer your questions about this common health condition and help you learn how to prevent it and heal from it.
What Conditions Are Associated With Back Pain?
Hundreds of tissues, including bones, discs, nerves, muscles, and ligaments, make up your spinal column, which protects the nervous system and is a major source of mobility and stability for the body. Injury or illness affecting spinal tissues can lead to a range of conditions that can cause back pain, including:
- Spondylosis (arthritis of the spine)
- Stenosis, or narrowing of bony spaces in the spine
- Spinal nerve root compressions (pinching of nerves as they exit the spinal cord and branch off into an arm or leg), such as sciatica or lumbar radiculopathy
- Problems with spinal discs, including disc herniation, disc bulge, and degenerative disc disease
- Soft tissue injuries like muscle strains and ligament sprains
- Generalized or nonspecific back pain
What Causes Back Pain?
Common causes or risk factors of back pain include advancing age, frequent heavy lifting and bending (in kids, heavy backpacks are common culprits), smoking, a sedentary lifestyle, physical trauma like falls and car accidents, stress, and underlying health conditions or lifestyle factors like obesity. Sometimes, a person can have back pain in the absence of any clear underlying cause.
Does Chiropractic Care Improve Back Pain?
Chiropractic care is proven to improve back pain, namely by improving spinal health and alignment, accelerating tissue healing, and enhancing the strength and endurance of core muscles that support a stable yet flexible spine. Our Birmingham chiropractor can also identify and address other factors—like poor body mechanics or reduced hip or shoulder range of motion—that may increase stress in the spine and promote pain and dysfunction.
Some specific services shown to help people with back pain include:
- Chiropractic spinal adjustments
- Massage therapy and other techniques
- Non-surgical spinal decompression
- Corrective exercises and stretches
- Lifestyle consulting, which includes the assessment and improvement of things like nutrition and stress management
Chiropractic care is non-invasive, effective, and safe for people of all backgrounds, including seniors, adults, children, and pregnant and postpartum women.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Chiropractor for Back Pain Treatment in Birmingham, AL
Put an end to your back pain and dysfunction by scheduling an appointment with our chiropractor in Birmingham, AL. Call The Spine Doc now at (205) 951-3330 to get started!